Katie is Emerging: Katie’s Story, Part TwelvePosted: December 11, 2014 Filed under: Assuming Caregiving Responsibilities, Katie's Story | Tags: care-plan, caregiving-book, commitment, home-health-agency, house-call, Katie, support, team, therapy, treatment, wheelchair-van, wound-care Leave a comment
Well, Katie may have had the date wrong—but the concept was right. KATIE IS GOING HOME on Monday, December 15th.
The Provider met with the nursing home staff this week to compile a specific and detailed plan for Katie’s care. I was invited to attend the meeting, and I asked Judene to accompany me because she always provides good perspective and moral support.
When Judene and I arrived, it was immediately evident that KATIE IS EMERGING!
When the Provider began checking down the list–
- The medical bed, air mattress and Hoyer lift will be delivered Friday.
- The Home Health Agency will start on Tuesday. They will provide a nurse and therapists.
- Your caregiver, “Gloria” is very anxious to get started. She is moving in on Friday.
Katie began slapping her leg. “This is how I clap,” she said. And we all clapped with her.
We talked about meals: Gloria cooks very healthy food. What do you like for breakfast?
We talked about treatment and therapy: Gloria can tend to your wounds. She can help you with your stretching exercises.
We talked about visitors: Gloria will be glad to have your church group over to sing hymns.
Everyone is doing what they can to facilitate the transition home and to make the plan work.
- Katie is required to see her family doctor within 5 days—he has offered to make a house call.
- Sam purchased a wheelchair van at auction. It will provide her with more opportunities–many, many more.
- Family and friends have made commitments of support.
Sam and Katie’s home will be hectic for a while. But I believe the plan will succeed because…